You are better off with double glazing – Most people buy double glazing for the extra comfort, but there are so many other advantages.
- Heat loss through glazing is halved
- Window draughts caused by cooled air sinking are cut
- Living space is increased
- Rooms are kept warm
- Outside noise can be reduced
- Condensation can be reduced
- The saleability of the property is increased
The extra cost of choosing double instead of single glazing is recoverable through energy savings in about seven years
Glass is a good insulator, but the panes in buildings are too thin to have much effect. So rather than thicken the glass, insulating air or gas spaces are introduced.
The bigger the air space, the less heat is lost, up to an optimum of 20mm.